rawhide report: 20060121 changes

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Mon Jan 23 18:23:15 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 19:08 -0500, Neal Becker wrote:

> I strongly believe that most users would prefer the smart behavior, or at
> least the option of being asked.  Specifically, if some dependencies have
> problems, offer to go ahead with other packages that don't have problems.

Working around broken deps is not a smart thing to automate.  While
there are hard deps, there maybe some soft deps that are just unknown.
When testing, tests are performed with ALL the updates in place, not a
smattering of them.  It has been discussed many times that leaving
packages in old to work around broken deps is not something that will be
seen in the yum space.  When yum errors, it errors on the side of
protecting the user from potentially broken system states.  Smart
however takes a different stance, one that some users like until their
system crashes in weird ways because of an odd update state.  Thus far
in rawhide space the gamble has paid off a bit, but once you move into
released space, add in a few repos of choice, lets see how long it takes
before stuff starts acting oddly w/ smart.