Size optimization (WAS: Re: FORTIFY_SOURCE for the kernel)

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Mon Jan 23 19:49:45 UTC 2006

Hi

>Dogtail gets around this problem by adding a sleep after every action;
>the duration of the sleep is configurable; I've occasionally tried
>removing it, but so many scripts break or become unreliable that I
>prefer to err on the side of reliability: dogtail's main focus has been
>in testing functionality, rather than performance.
>
>What you will be able to see from dogtail is if an application starts
>taking a lot longer than before to bring up its UI, or to respond to
>input.  So it should be possible to get a coarse estimate of "it's
>slower", or "it's faster", which could be a useful metric.
>
>If anyone wants to take this up, or has further ideas, we might be able
>to add some kind of performance monitoring mode into dogtail.
>
>Ideas?
>
>Dave

What systemtap and dogtail needs to do is get a load of useful stock
scripts that can be used to do some of the typical tasks and then send
feedback to a system published somewhere maybe with a reference to the
rawhide reports. Then discuss some progress with what has been
accomplished with it on a regular basis. That would get some interest
and participation in the effort. Currently the ideas sound good but the
action isnt just there yet.

--
Rahul