When %{?dist} tag is needed?

Yuan Yijun bbbush.yuan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 10:23:11 UTC 2006

Hi, Warren

What I want to know is when to use %{?dist} tag and why only these
rawhide rpms (see attachment) are still have an %{?dist} tag in its
name, while others not. Is DistTag only valid for FE before Oct 2003?

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2003-October/msg01152.html

C-4. Dist tag
-------------
In cases where the same SRPM and patchlevel is used between two or more
distributions supported by Fedora, a dist tag is appended to the end of
the release tag defined in C-2 and C-3.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageNamingGuidelines

Using the %{?dist} Tag
-------------
If you wish to use a single spec file to build for multiple
distributions, you can use the %{?dist} tag in the Release field.
Please refer to the DistTag documentation for the details on the
appropriate way to do this.

Having read these paragraphs I feel that I'm doing something really bad...

--
bbbush ^_^

packages with "fc5" in name, they might be built on an old different build farm:
-------------
check-devel-0.9.3-4.fc5.i386.rpm
compat-gcc-32-3.2.3-54.fc5.i386.rpm
compat-gcc-32-c++-3.2.3-54.fc5.i386.rpm
compat-gcc-32-g77-3.2.3-54.fc5.i386.rpm
compat-libf2c-32-3.2.3-54.fc5.i386.rpm
compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-54.fc5.i386.rpm
dovecot-0.99.14-10.fc5.1.i386.rpm
gaim-1.5.0-13.fc5.i386.rpm
gnome-pilot-2.0.13-7.fc5.1.i386.rpm
gnome-pilot-devel-2.0.13-7.fc5.1.i386.rpm
kasumi-1.0-1.fc5.i386.rpm
libiec61883-1.0.0-10.fc5.i386.rpm
libiec61883-devel-1.0.0-10.fc5.i386.rpm
libiec61883-utils-1.0.0-10.fc5.i386.rpm
liboil-0.3.6-3.fc5.i386.rpm
liboil-devel-0.3.6-3.fc5.i386.rpm
libraw1394-1.2.0-3.fc5.i386.rpm
libraw1394-devel-1.2.0-3.fc5.i386.rpm
lksctp-tools-1.0.5-0.fc5.i386.rpm
lksctp-tools-devel-1.0.5-0.fc5.i386.rpm
lksctp-tools-doc-1.0.5-0.fc5.i386.rpm
mdadm-2.2-1.fc5.1.i386.rpm
perl-PDL-2.4.2-2.fc5.1.1.i386.rpm
scim-anthy-0.8.0-2.fc5.i386.rpm
scim-hangul-0.2.1-2.fc5.1.i386.rpm
spamassassin-3.1.0-5.fc5.i386.rpm
squirrelmail-1.4.6-0.cvs20050812.3.fc5.noarch.rpm
vte-0.11.16-2.fc5.1.i386.rpm
vte-devel-0.11.16-2.fc5.1.i386.rpm
xen-3.0-0.20060110.fc5.3.i386.rpm