libtrash in fedora Core 5

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Tue Jan 24 18:13:54 UTC 2006

On Monday 23 January 2006 06:51pm, Horst von Brand wrote:
> Lamont R. Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com> wrote:
[snip]
> If you want Windows with all its brokeness, you know where to find it...
> --
> Dr. Horst H. von Brand                   User #22616 counter.li.org
> Departamento de Informatica                     Fono: +56 32 654431
> Universidad Tecnica Federico Santa Maria              +56 32 654239
> Casilla 110-V, Valparaiso, Chile                Fax:  +56 32 797513

Well, since you unceremoniously snipped off the rest of my message, perhaps
you did not read it:

I said that I personally would never want nor would activate a feature that
modified the behavior of rm like this.  I also said that I though it would be
a good idea to provide a *user space* solution to this; a command that people
can use *instead of* rm for when they want reversible file deletion (and I
think it should otherwise behave as closely to rm as possible).

It seems illogical to me, Captain, to have the system behave differently just
because you are using a different interface, especially for so basic a
function as deletion.

Our desktop environments have a trashcan feature that most "Joe User" 's use.
This bites them when they run rm because they don't understand the
difference.

Yes, I know this is a user education issue.  But that's no solution.

What is wrong with an *optional*, *additional*, *separate* command that
behaves (as) exactly like rm (as possible) except for being reversible?
--
Lamont R. Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor