Stateless Linux: lxterminal

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Fri Jan 27 04:46:40 UTC 2006

Hi folks,

While we all wait for Stateless Linux to arrive, we've put together
a tiny little package that addresses a much simplified version of
the Stateless Linux problem: the oldie but goodie X terminal.

Use Case: you have a server, a small number of clients (<5),
boxes that can PXE boot, and you just want to run them stateless
off of your server. To make things even simpler, you loaded FC4
on the server, and you want your clients to just boot the exact
software that's already installed, so you don't have to worry about
maintaining two images. Being a small install, you are not too
worried about internal hackers, but you are concerned about your
brain cells, and want to spend as few as possible on this problem.

Well, lxterminal is for you!

Where: http://www.lattica.com/lxterminal/
How: http://www.lattica.com/lxterminal/README
RPM: http://www.lattica.com/lxterminal/lxterminal-0.5-1.i386.rpm
OS: Fedora Core 4

This is in no way a replacement of Stateless Linux. However, the
simple X terminal model is not bad for small number of clients
where you can actually get increased performance from sharing
code in memory between users. IOW it should work quite well in
small installations.

The package has seen little testing outside of our network, so
don't hesitate to report problems :) It currently works with
FC4 only, we'd love to get it to work with the upcoming FC5,
and even FC3.

If people find this package useful, we can move the project over
to SourceForge to get a decent collaboration environment, and the
RPM to Extras.

Any and all feedback is much appreciated. You can either write
to this list (if there's any significant volume, we'll move it
over to SF in a heartbeat), or to me personally.

Enjoy!

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.