DejaVu fonts for Fedora Core 6 feedback call

Andy Burns fedora at adslpipe.co.uk
Thu Jul 6 08:31:11 UTC 2006

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> A new font family is being proposed as the Fedora Core default. It
> probably impacts your language. Please tell us what you think about it:

Tried it on 1280x800 LCD, in general looks good and clear, with
greyscale and subpixel(BGR) hinting, struggled to notice any extra
benefit from hinting above "slight" setting.

One thing which looked *MUCH* worse was using DejaVu Serif within
firefox, text was spiderish, and kerning was uneven, letters ran
directly into each other

http://adslpipe.co.uk/pics/firefox-dejavu.png

So I just set the default proprtional font to DejaVu Sans in firefox.

I'd still choose to install DejaVu fonts, presumable Vera wouldn't be
removed by this?