DejaVu fonts for Fedora Core 6 feedback call

Simos Xenitellis simos74 at gmx.net
Thu Jul 6 09:51:48 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 18:33 +0900, Naoki wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 10:06 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:
> > Simos Xenitellis wrote:
> >
> > > Just to make sure, could you please run Firefox with the instructions
> > > your get from the about: page?
> > > That is, on a Terminal window, type
> > >
> > > $ export MOZ_DISABLE_PANGO=1
> > > $ firefox
> > >
> > > and check to see how about: looks like now.
> >
> > yes that looks better.
> >
> > I think my only issue now (which I forgot to add originally) is the
> > perceived increased size of bold fonts, which others have mentioned, to
> > me it seems to be equivalent to at least a +1 point size compared to the
> > "book" weight.
>
> I second that. I've been using DejaVu now since the call for testing
> first went out and I do love it.  The bold 'issue' is probably something
> that will become a non-issue after I'm used to it but right now it does
> feel odd having the bold font drastically larger (or at least it feels
> drastic but like I say it's different than before which amplifies
> things).

The inclusion of Pango in Firefox enables the support complex scripts
which I personally favour very much. However, it introduces bugs
with the interaction with MathML support in Firefox. This issue
is not font-related per sé; we want Firefox to support Pango and
also MathML. Once both of these work together it will be browsing nirvana.

Simos