DejaVu fonts for Fedora Core 6 feedback call

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Jul 6 22:33:18 UTC 2006

Le jeudi 06 juillet 2006 à 09:31 +0100, Andy Burns a écrit :
> Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>
> > A new font family is being proposed as the Fedora Core default. It
> > probably impacts your language. Please tell us what you think about it:
>
> Tried it on 1280x800 LCD, in general looks good and clear, with
> greyscale and subpixel(BGR) hinting, struggled to notice any extra
> benefit from hinting above "slight" setting.
>
> One thing which looked *MUCH* worse was using DejaVu Serif within
> firefox, text was spiderish, and kerning was uneven, letters ran
> directly into each other
>
> http://adslpipe.co.uk/pics/firefox-dejavu.png
>
> So I just set the default proprtional font to DejaVu Sans in firefox.

I'm not too fond of DejaVu Serif, or serif fonts in general. However if
you have much worse rendering than Vera Serif in the same app with no
other changes there is a problem (it's probably in firefox BTW)

Could you please prepare two screenshots, one with Vera Serif the other
with DejaVu Serif, and post the info I listed on
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fonts/DejavuFeedbackCall#head-03bc0dbd603319499fb5723a9f2389dab9e71eab ?

If disabling pango in firefox helps but Vera is still better, can you do
a third screenshot ?

Lastly if you remove the dejavu packages from your system, and install
dejavu LGC from http://dejavu.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Download,
does it help ?

> I'd still choose to install DejaVu fonts, presumable Vera wouldn't be
> removed by this?

DejaVu won't remove Vera. However it may be used instead of Vera in
fontconfig aliases such as Sans, Serif and monospace.

You can remove the makedefault package and follow the procedure on
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fonts/DejavuFeedbackCall#head-ab1ec2f7a8e50f32635bf19d67f5bb9848c9e731

to just have the font files installed without touching the Fedora
current font setup.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot