Announcing Fedora Core 6 Test 1 (5.90)

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Sun Jul 9 08:50:26 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jul 09, 2006 at 10:43:32AM +0200, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
 > On Sat, 2006-07-08 at 16:38 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
 > > On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 10:27:55PM +0200, Andreas Thienemann wrote:
 > >
 > >  > Several legacy i586 systems are used as routers and I'd hate to leave them
 > >  > on FC5.
 > >
 > > The buildsys was tweaked a few days ago, and 586 kernels have been popping out
 > > since then.  test2 should be fine.
 >
 > now to go a step further; cmov isn't actually a performance gain on any
 > cpu sold in the last year or two. Why ship the i686 kernel at all over
 > an i586 kernel? Why not ship ONLY a i586 kernel?

This has crossed my mind, and I did some investigation on this a month or two ago.
You'd still want gcc to schedule instructions optimally for newer cpus
(-mtune-generic seems to handle this), but iirc adding -march=i586 somehow
affects the behaviour of -mtune in a negative way.

It does warrant further investigation at some stage however.

		Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk