OOo documents look different

Benjy Grogan benjy.grogan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 17:44:24 UTC 2006

On 7/10/06, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:
> Le lundi 10 juillet 2006 à 18:36 +0200, Erwin Rol a écrit :
> > When a ODF document is suppose
> > to be the new hype for document management all over the world and for
> > all times there better be programs that can actually display the
> > documents correctly in a few years on different platforms. As it is now
> > it is not even possible after a few months on the same platform.
>
> The document *is* displaying correctly. Unless you've explicitely
> specified "it must fit on X pages" somewhere (and current OO.o does not
> allow this) *nothing* will ensure its pagination does not change
> slightly over time. The first thing OO.o or Office do when loading a doc
> is to repaginate it, precisely because font sizes are not invariants.
>
> You want pixel or page-perfect rendering you export your doc as PDF with
> embedded fonts. Or you make OO.o implement fixed-number-of-pages
> scaling.
>
> The sad thing is people don't care about what you're asking - if they
> did word processing would not have rolled over DTP in the last decade.
> In a word processing context all you have is a text flow (as in
> free-flow).

People do care.  I've heard this complaint before.  It's not a concern
when a 27 page document becomes a 28 page document, but when you want
to have 1 page and suddenly that 1 page has become 2 pages and you're
searching for what OS it last fit properly on, then it gets to be a
nuisance.

I have a C. Vitae that I can't edit in Fedora because it takes up 2
pages there but in Windows XP it will only take up 1 page, which is
right on.

I'd be happy with a set of fonts that work the same on all OSes, and
then I'd stick with those.  Times New Roman seems like a hassle now.

Benjy