rawhide report: 20060709 changes

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Tue Jul 11 22:00:39 UTC 2006

Callum Lerwick wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-07-10 at 15:41 +0200, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
>> This may be a dead stupid question, but what do we acutally need this
>> for? Don't all monitors report their values via DDC these days?
>
> I've been having an annoying problem with at least one of my monitors.
> If I start the machine with the monitor off, the monitor doesn't respond
> to DDC. Which means the X server reverts to something like 1138x640 at 60.
> Xorg's 16:9 handling could use some work...
>
> Which more an argument for supporting dynamic rescanning of the DDC
> info.

I believe the i810 driver is getting some work done in this
area.  Really though this isn't Fedora specific in any way,
but is rather an upstream X.Org future feature enhancement.

> Usually I just hardcode scanning rates and resolutions because of stuff
> like this. For all I know, all monitors are like this...

It's a good idea to hit http://bugs.freedesktop.org with any
problems you encounter, to ensure the driver maintainers are
aware of any issues.

HTH

--
Mike A. Harris  *  Open Source Advocate  *  http://mharris.ca