X doesn't start

Steve G linux_4ever at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 13 13:27:20 UTC 2006

>I experienced same issue recently after updating a FC5 system
>and later found out it was due to xfs not running.

Thanks this was a good clue. (The messages output by X could be better.)

When I boot to runlevel 3 and then do init 5, X comes up fine. If I have 5 in the
grub boot parameter, it seems that X starts too early and hangs. All I see is the
X cursor and black screen, no arrow cursor. Strange. Hitting Ctl-Alt-Backspace
after waiting a while produces error messages along the lines that the
filesystems are mounted readonly. It appears that X started before udev was even
done.

Are we starting X too early when booting to runlevel 5?

-Steve