Firefox performance on Fedora vs Win32

Konstantin Ryabitsev icon at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jul 13 17:11:52 UTC 2006

On 7/13/06, n0dalus <n0dalus+redhat at gmail.com> wrote:
> This could be because I just restarted firefox, but it really does
> seem faster with MOZ_DISABLE_PANGO=1. In addition, I can't tell any
> difference; what exactly does pango do in Firefox (text spacing does
> seem a little different)?

Pango provides support for complex language writing systems -- the
ones that require extensive character manipulation. Compare this page
with and without pango, if you have indian fonts :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Enabling_complex_text_support_for_Indic_scripts#Check_for_existing_support

(you will need some indic fonts installed to see the difference, like
fonts-bengali)

If you do not need to deal with complex scripts, then you can safely
disable pango with no ill effects.

--
Konstantin Ryabitsev
Montréal, Québec