rawhide report: 20060716 changes

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Mon Jul 17 11:37:27 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 13:09 +0200, Erwin Rol wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 20:39 +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 08:39 +0200, Erwin Rol wrote:
> >
> > > Of course it is a bit worrisome that a CTRL-c to stop a yum update can
> > > leave behind such a mess, instead of cleaning up more correctly, like it
> > > can when a single package stage (the killing of nash) fails. I mean
> > > noway in hell would "my mother" been able to fix this system, and those
> > > ppl (like i did) certainly will first try to hammer CTRL-C when
> > > something hangs.
> >
> > While I appreciate where you're coming from, let's give what's happened
> > a little perspective.
>
> And where do I come from?

This wasn't a personal attack.  As far as this thread is concerned, you
come from the start of the tread where a rouge process made a mess of
your 'testing' system.

> > Firstly, this has happened in rawhide.  It's unlike your mother would be
> > using rawhide and rawhide is rumored to eat babies.
>
> Yes exactly, it is happening in Rawhide, the place to test things and
> point out things that could possibly be done better, _before_ my mother
> has to use it.

I understand this.

> > This hasn't happened in a released version.  It hasn't even happened in
> > the testing stage of a released version.
>
> Rawhide is testing, so it did happen. If I don't point it out it might
> stay there until it is released.

But that's my point.  It didn't happen in any stable release and it
didn't affect your mother (or mine).  In fact, you did exactly what
people hope users of rawhide would do and you reported the problem.  So
did a whole bunch of other people too.

It's really annoying, but something like this isn't ever going to make
it into a stable release because problems like this are so big that they
effect bunches of people (which this mailing list shows to be the case).

> > So while it might be a little frustrating, it's not earth shattering.
>
> When someone does a update, and somehow stops this by CTRL-c (or a
> system shutdown would probably have the same result) yum will not
> recover cleanly, and cleaning up the mess after it needs way more
> knowledge than the average user (needs to) have. That was the only point
> I wanted to make, and I don't think it is that much out of perspective.
> So if you don't have anything constructive to add to that, why not
> simply ignore my mail and go back where you came from.

Ah, that question of where we come from. In this case, I come from the
part of the thread where I popped up to suggest that mothers aren't
likely to be affected by something like this and that we shouldn't get
too carried away.

Anyhow, I'll shut my trap now.

R.

 It's much better on my side"