mirrorlist cgi

Ola Thoresen redhat at olen.net
Mon Jul 17 21:29:33 UTC 2006

On man, 2006-07-17 at 17:11 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 02:28 +0530, Rahul wrote:
> > > If you do not add &country=DE (or your country code) but there is no
> > > specific set of mirrors that are current for your country then it will
> > > return the global set of current mirrors.
> > >
> > > if you do specify a country you want and there is no specific set of
> > > mirrors then it will hand you back an empty file. This is for the people
> > > who don't want to use bandwidth outside of their country for cost
> > > reasons, proxy reasons, etc.
> > >

> > What about users who would prefer their country but would like to fall
> > back on a global list otherwise?
>

> Then don't specify a country in the url.
>
> It will look up your country by your ip and if it has its own mirror
> file it will use it - otherwise it uses the global file.

Maybe one could add several "virtual" "countries" (without getting into
politics here).

EU, Asia/Pacific, Middle East, Africa (maybe divided into north/south)
could either be gouped together by mirrorlist itself, or it could accept
country=XX as a list (country=XX,YY,ZZ), so one could make a longer
mirrorlist if neccesary.

For small countries with just a few mirrors, there would be much gain in
having the list extended with either neighbouring countries or at least
contries with known good connectivity.

For 'NO' I know there are very few mirrors, but I also know there would
be no problem falling back to 'SE' or 'DK' - or maybe even 'UK' as all
of those ar fairly tight connected to us.

I also think it would be a good idea to add the global list to the end
of all the lists (or at least those returning less than say 5 mirrors).
That would ensure that one or two delayed or broken mirrors would not
cause an entire country to be left without updates.

Rgds.

Ola Thoresen