BZ #198121, #197145: Re-add dropped linux-2.6-drm-cripple-r300.patch to v2.6.17

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Thu Jul 27 02:49:28 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 02:31:59AM +0200, David Nielsen wrote:
> I'd be very sad if someone crippled r300 now as it's finally working for
> me and I've gotten quite used to having compiz bling powered by only
> free software.

You could always re-enable it before with the patch applied with the
module option allow_r300=1.

> I would strongly favor not disabling it since it prevents the code from
> being fixed.

I agree I would like to see it fixed properly too.  I hadn't realized
that progress had been made recently, and I'd like to help if I can.
My laptop unfortunately doesn't have a real serial port, and the
kernel cannot use USB serial devices for consoles that I know of.

Ultimately, if there are still some r300 cards that experience
problems with the DRI support, then I believe we should still allow it
to be disabled, perhaps by defaulting DRI to on and inverting the
module option, e.g. disallow_r300=1.