Fedora's intended target audience?

Emmanuel Seyman emmanuel.seyman at club-internet.fr
Thu Jul 27 16:20:00 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 06:06:58PM +0200, Gérard Milmeister wrote:

> People should stop blame NVIDIA for everything because of the binary-only
> drivers.

Well, we can certainly blame them for being clueless.

'"It's so hard to write a graphics driver that open-sourcing it would not
 help," said Andrew Fear, Nvidia's software product manager.'

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6061491.html

And please note that we're not asking for an open-source driver.
Hardware specs would suffice.

> not 3D-acceleration, but TwinView. Reverting to the open-source driver
> would break my configuration and not just make some games stop working.

Last I heard, NVidia was responsible (or was paying the person responsible)
for maintaining the nv driver. So they're actually responisible for that, too.

> Also, NVIDIA does not support Fedora Core 5. They support Linux in
> general and simply cannot follow every little technical issue of
> hundreds of distributions.

Which is exactly why they should publish hardware specs and let the
distributions (well, the X.org developers) handle the problem themselves.

Emmanuel