Leaving?

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Fri Jul 28 07:12:52 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I'm seriously considering switching distro's after the AIGLX and target
audience discussion. I cannot believe how arrogant most of the replies
are, saying that if user install any third party software that then that
thirdparty software is their problem.

I also find this very hypocrite because normally when any chance
breaking thirdparty software is proposed for inclusion into the current
release people start screaming loudly. Like for example any suggestions
to introduce an update to Extras with an soname chance. But since the
thirdparty software breaking in this case is non OSS and since some very
LOUD people happen to dislike the thirdparty software breaking in this
case, they are all of of a sudden in favor of breaking thirdparty
software during a what is supposed to be stable release?

I'm just totally stunned by the arrogance in this discussion, the I'm
holier then thou stance. And most of all the total disregards to the
many end users who happen to rely on the thirdparty software in case.

I'm seriously starting to think that Fedora is not the distro for me to
be working on and switching to Ubuntu (by lack of a better alternative),
now some of the arrogant screamers may say fine, we won't miss you but
before saying so I would first take a look at owners.list in FE cvs and
than think again.

This is not meant as some kinda blackmail to stop the Xorg 7.1 update,
to be honest at this point I don't care about the 7.1 update anymore.
And as I said when I started the target audience discussion this was
never about the 7.1 update. Its about the principle of not knowingly
having a yum update during a stable release breaks peoples systems,
especially not with a smile on your face and saying behind those end
users backs that will teach them not to use binary crap. Because that
_IS_ what is happening here. Sure there are many advancements in xorg
7.1 and I'm not suggesting to leave it out FC-6 even if the binary
drivers aren't available at FC-6 launch time, but breaking stuff with
TOTAL disregard to a large group of end users, during a stable's release
lifetime is IMHO unacceptable. And what worries me is not this single
instance of breaking, its the attitude behind it and the ease with which
we (you?) step over the all of a sudden minor problem of seriously
hurting a significant group of end users.

Regards,

Hans