Leaving?

n0dalus n0dalus+redhat at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 15:21:09 UTC 2006

On 7/28/06, Sean <seanlkml at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> > They will suffer, see above. Not all our users are yum wizzards.
>
> No yum wizardry needed at all if properly managed by the 3rd party repos.

There would still be a large number of people who installed nvidia
drivers without using rpms, or people who have rpms for it installed
but don't get any updates (so they wouldn't receive an update with a
Conflicts). We're not talking about a breakage in a small application
(where the user could still look online for help), we're talking about
a breakage that will leave all but the most competent users unable to
fix it from the console.

As for people saying 'Just use an excludes', this argument is not
really helpful, as many others have pointed out that we're worried
about the people who don't know what the update has in store (and you
can hardly blame people for not knowing what the update will do, since
yum provides zero information about what the updates contain.)

I presume that most people with FC5 installed would already have
working video drivers (or it wouldn't have installed, or would have
tried another distribution/OS to find one that works). I'm sure that
X.org 7.1 provides some nice updates, but I think the number of people
it will actually provide a noticeable improvement to is small (please
correct me if I'm wrong).

I don't think proprietry/open-source has anything to do with this. If
a large number of users had installed an open source extension from
outside Fedora to X that meant this update will stop X from working,
what would be done then? Of course it's only hypothetical, and
unlikely, but I think it shows that the decision should not be made on
the basis of whether or not the conflicting driver is open source.

Personally, I would do the following:
- If X.org 7.1 is easy to get working for FC5, then provide a special
repo for it and post it on the lists and places like Fedora News and
Fedora Forum. Hopefully those people who would benefit from the update
will find out about it.
- If X.org 7.1 would take some work to get working in FC5, instead use
that developer time to improve FC6 so we can all in enjoy it along
with X.org 7.1 in early October.

Either way, I don't see Fedora being held back by not pushing the
updates for FC5.

n0dalus.