Leaving? (cont'd)

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Jul 29 01:53:59 UTC 2006

Arthur Pemberton writes:

> these bad vibes. We the users have waited for updates before. I
> haven't been able to use and .17 kernel released by Fedora: I filed a
> bug report, but I am pretty sure no one cares. To break my system,
> would be wholey unfair, it has worked so well (aside from the kernel)
> issues.

Life's a bitch.  When 2.6.14 was released, it broke my main server.  Every
kernel since then, until 2.6.17, vomited all over itself, in a rather
spectacular fashion, a few seconds after boot.  Finally, six months later,
when the 2.6.17 kernel was released, whatever the bloody bug was it got
fixed, and I was able to boot the current Fedora kernel, again.

And I've got another server here that's still waiting for the first 2.6
kernel to show up that can actually boot on it.  This one is still running
FC1.

You'll just have to continue using your last bootable kernel, until your bug
gets fixed.  Your bug, provided that you've entered sufficient diagnostics
into Bugzilla (meaning at least a kernel BUG or an OOPS) to confirm that
it's a real bug, will simply be marked as an open issue.  Unless your bug
can be trivially isolated, with an easy, obvious fix, nobody is going to
care.  They'll wait until this bug gets nailed in the Linux kernel, and
eventually percolate down to the Fedora kernel. Nobody really cared about me
being unable to boot any 2.6.14, 2.6.15, and 2.6.16 kernel, either.  That's
life for you.

>>From my admittedly limited understanding of the problem, this seems to
> be little more than a programming problem. The parameters that would
> cause breakage seem to be known  by you guy. RPM supports the use of
> post and pre scripts, can't these be used to go around this problme?

I don't know what your problem is.  But if you're getting nailed by a kernel
bug, it is highly improbable that it can be fixed by an RPM post/pre script.