mirrorlist plugin broken?

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Sat Jul 29 12:12:45 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-29 at 13:09 +0200, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I am getting strange data from the mirrorlist plugin while trying to
> update my rawhide machine.
>
> The line for the development repo is
> mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=rawhide&arch=$basearch
>
> The (current) result from this query is
> # repo = rawhide country = global arch = i386
> http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/$ARCH/os/
> http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/fedora/linux/core/development/$ARCH/os/
>
> Nonetheless, the repodata I get is quite outdated, it lists dbus-0.62 and
> firefox 1.5.0.3, for example.
>
> Since no amount of debugging will make yum tell which servers it is
> retrieving data from I can not tell where the bad data actually comes
> from.

1. is there a proxy running somewhere which might be returning bogus
results?
2. put each of those urls into your repo file as the one and sole
baseurl - then you can tell which is which.
3. The mirrorlist cgi does the following:
   - take repomd.xml from the canonical mirror at redhat.com - get
timestamp from inside file of the primary.xml.gz entry
   - downlowd repomd.xml from each of the mirrors and compare this value
   - only mirrors where the value is the same are kept

-sv