Re: new s-c-soundcard in rawhide

Matthew Miller wrote:
On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 10:58:49AM +0200, Martin Stransky wrote:
1) I'm supposed to pick a PCM device and know what the difference is
  between:
  Intel 82801DB-ICH4
  Intel 82801DB-ICH4 - MIC ADC
  Intel 82801DB-ICH4 - MIC2 ADC
  Intel 82801DB-ICH4 - ADC2
  Intel 82801DB-ICH4 - IEC958
  intuitively? (Moreover, I'm asked to do this in two different places.)
These names depend on driver writer, if you don't know just use the default. Optionally I can move it to some "advanced" settings.

Is there a case where a normal person would want the non-default?

3) How is the user supposed to know whether to use kudzu, /proc, or HAL
  detection? Why are they even *given* a choice???
I'm failing to see what sort of usage case this is solving. Surely this
should all just work?
It's because:
kudzu detects only internal cards (kudzu doesn't detect USB cards well),
[...]
Proc detects all cards fine, but it isn't "preferred" and works only when drivers are succesfully loaded.
[...]
HAL detects only cards with correct /sys entries (so it doesn't detect
[...]
So, when HAL detects all devices fine, I'll remove proc&kudzu.

Why not, in the meantime, do them all? Or do HAL first, and if that fails,
kudzu, and if that fails, proc? (Possibly with a "look for more" button?)

this would be a good idea
something like no soundcard found should I try an other method to detect? yes -no