Re: ifup fails for static IP address. Is ifcfg wrong?

Art Edwards wrote:
I dug a little deeper and found that the ifcfg-eth0 in default had the wrong IP address--one that was actually in use. When I changed that value, all started to work. I really don't know why the ifcfg-eth0 script in
/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default

is different from that in

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.

In fact, I really don'tunderstand why there are two. Why not symbolic links?

Was this installation an upgrade?  The FC5 installer creates only the
one file in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts, and that appears to be
sufficient.  If you (re)configure with system-config-network, there
will be two additional hard links to that same file:

   3290919 ./sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
   3290919 ./sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0
   3290919 ./sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-eth0

It looks like you got a broken setup with some files left over
from a previous installation.

--
Bob Nichols         Yes, "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.