Re: unversioned upstream source

Patrice Dumas wrote:

Jochen objects to that, saying that the Source should be downloadable, like
Source0:        http://www.engineers.auckland.ac.nz/~snor007/src/uread.tar.gz

The reason for this is so that the source tarball included in your SRPM can be verified to be the same as the source tarball from upstream.

What do you think about that issue? What do you think is best practice
and why?

In my view, the method you've described (adding a comment to the spec with instructions on how to get the sources from upstream and rename them as needed) should be adequate. However, for packaging it in Extras as well as possibly many other distros/formats, I'd also highly suggest that you contact the upstream author and ask him/her (them?) to add
some form of versioning to their tarball naming.

--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
  DD68 A414 56BD 6368 D957 9666 4268 CB7A FFC1 9479