Re: Attn: Maintainers of things which might depend on xorg-x11-xkbdata

Gianluca Sforna wrote:
On 7/8/06, Mike A. Harris <mharris mharris ca> wrote:
Note that similar strategy is used throughout all of the
X.Org modular packaging, and packagers should always use
a virtual dependency on modular X items if one exists
already (ie: xdm, xfs, Xorg, Xnest, Xvfb, individual
binaries present in various apps/utils packages, etc.).
This helps to futureproof everything as much as possible,
and while in a perfect world the packaging of things
shouldn't really change much, nobody's planned on it
changing and it has changed 4-5 times over the last
2-3 years, so using virtual provides/requires for this
stuff now, helps to save everyone headaches in the
future.

So, for example, right now I need to add a BR for the file
/usr/include/X11/StringDefs.h

No.

If one re-reads what I said above, you'll notice that I specified
'individual binaries', as in binary executables stored in
/usr/bin.  For example, if for whatever reason some package
absolutely needs to execute "Xnest", it should have:

Requires: Xnest

and *NOT*

Requires: xorg-x11-server-Xnest

By depending on the virtual "Xnest", it ensures that if the
packaging of Xorg changes again in the future - as it has 2-3
times in the last 2-3 years, your package will survive the
packaging migration without needing any dependency updates,
as we will ensure that any new package that contains Xnest,
also has a "Provides: Xnest" in it.

Ditto for various other _binary_executables_, such as xdm,
xfs, Xorg, mkfontscale, mkfontdir, etc.

As far as any header files or other development files are
concerned, you _must_ individually require each individual
libXXXXXX-devel package that your software needs to compile
and link.

what BR: line should I use?

$ rpm -qf /usr/include/X11/StringDefs.h
libXt-devel-1.0.0-2