Re: Attn: Maintainers of things which might depend on xorg-x11-xkbdata

Gianluca Sforna wrote:
On 7/8/06, Mike A. Harris <mharris mharris ca> wrote:
Note that similar strategy is used throughout all of the
X.Org modular packaging, and packagers should always use
a virtual dependency on modular X items if one exists
already (ie: xdm, xfs, Xorg, Xnest, Xvfb, individual
binaries present in various apps/utils packages, etc.).
This helps to futureproof everything as much as possible,
and while in a perfect world the packaging of things
shouldn't really change much, nobody's planned on it
changing and it has changed 4-5 times over the last
2-3 years, so using virtual provides/requires for this
stuff now, helps to save everyone headaches in the
future.

Could we have a page in fedoraproject.org with a list of those virtual
dependencies? it would really save a lot of time when packaging

That's not a bad idea, but it wouldn't track the actual contents
of the packages in realtime as dependencies are added, etc.
I could also comment about what the intention of each virtual
provide is, so that people would (hopefully) use them correctly.

If someone feels up to creating such a page on the wiki and populating
it, I'd be happy to review it and comment, etc.

--
Mike A. Harris  *  Open Source Advocate  *  http://mharris.ca
                      Proud Canadian.