Re: improving rpm

Nicolas

2) Attempt to merge changes, in the manner of a modern revision control
system.

This is a 100%-proof recipe for disaster, even if conf files where all
in structured format like XML with full grammar available

I don't think it has to be a disaster.

If a package is frequently updated, or has a large config file which has minimal changes, then I imagine the logic to patch the config file would be simple.

If the situation is complex, we can detect it and make suggestions. Maybe even fall back to existing behaviour.

I think it's an interesting idea. What's the harm in offering the user the choice between new config, old config, merged changes?

-Cam

--

                                                                     <--
camilo mesias co uk