rawhide report: 20060716 changes

Tom Brinkman tbrinkman at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 17 13:25:44 UTC 2006

On 17 8:00:S, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le Lun 17 juillet 2006 14:37, Jesse Keating a écrit :
> > Note:  Your system will be just as unhappy if you drop power or
> > whathaveyou in the middle of a long RPM transaction.
> > In fact, that's what you are doing.
> > Yum has little to do with this.
>
> In fact, yum has everything to do with this, and needs to be just
> as resilient to the power failure than to the ctrl+c case (or
> kernel oops, or rpm crash, or kill -9, or whatever). ie notice
> the next time it's run something went wrong and propose the user
> the appropriate steps to clean up the mess.
>
> I don't find the "but it can happen other ways" argument very
> convincing. Quite the contrary.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Nicolas Mailhot

     Just now I checked for updates an there were 17 (20060716), no
kernel. 'yum update' was successful, except for....

  Updating  : indent             ####################### [13/34]
install-info: /usr/share/info/indent.info.gz: empty file
error: %post(indent-2.2.9-13.fc6.i386) scriptlet failed, exit status
1   .... and there was no 'Cleanup' statement for  indent

  No power failure (I'm on an UPS anyway), use of Ctrl+c or kill.
Seems indent had a packaging problem tho.

  Then immediately running the script to chk for dups.....
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tools/yum?highlight=%28yum%29

 # yumdups
Duplicates were found:
indent-2.2.9-12.3.1
indent-2.2.9-13.fc6
--
    Tom Brinkman                   Corpus Christi, Texas