mirrorlist cgi

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Tue Jul 18 01:11:59 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 01:54 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:
> seth vidal wrote:
>
> >  Over the last couple of weeks we've put together a mirror checking tool
> >  and a cgi that will verify the currency of the mirrorlist.
>
> Just wondering if this is more of a single point of failure for updates?
> e.g last weekend chunks of IP space inhabited by *.redhat.com were
> unroutable from here, causing me problems with yum/yumex.

If you'd like to take the check-mirrors script that I pointed to in cvs
and use it to generate your own mirrorlists for your client machine you
may. It has very few requirements and is easy to run.

But this is no more of a single point of failure than any other
mirrorlist we might put together. At some point we have to have a list
of mirrors that are known good. They either have to be compiled by each
and every client or be compiled by a server or a set of servers.

Where would you like to place the magical no-single-points-of-failure
router?

-sv