top panel

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Tue Jul 18 20:40:46 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 12:56 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Two reasons:
> 1) None of the other networked sound systems are any better (and some
> are worse).

Is this really a concern? I thought the concern was sharing the audio
hardware. Which is much better solved with ALSA+dmix, which is now
enabled by default.

> 2) GNOME is more than Linux so any solution has to address more than
> just Linux distros.

esound is unmaintained. It does not support ALSA. In fact, using the OSS
compatibility blocks the usage of ALSA. Anything using esound will
prevent ALSA apps from using the audio card. There's an old mailing list
post about this that I can't find right now. Killing off OSS has been on
the roadmap for a while now. Killing off esound is a part of this.

If GNOME wants to make noise, there's much better cross platform APIs
available to do it with. In fact, GNOME has already standardized around
gstreamer.