Re: Public key infrastructure

On 7/21/06, Joachim Selke <selke thi uni-hannover de> wrote:

Tomas Mraz wrote:
>> (3) Every application using digital certificates (and capable of
>> checking certs against a list of trusted CA certs) creates the
>> directories /etc/pki/$appname/private, /etc/pki/$appname/public and
>> /etc/pki/$appname/cacerts for storing certs. The last one by default is
>> a symlink pointing to /etc/pki/cacerts.
>
> AFAIK directory as symlink in a package creates problems on package
> upgrades so it would be best to leave them simply as empty directories.

What kind of problems do you mean? Looking e.g. in /etc I see many
directory symlinks.

The problem is if you later want to make the sym-link into a
directory. That is the reason for the many directory symlinks...
someone forgets to make a directory and creates a symlink and poof you
can't later decide on having a directory.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator