diet for evolution

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Sat Jul 22 05:38:24 UTC 2006

fre, 21 07 2006 kl. 22:17 -0700, skrev Otto Rey:
> Well, i think that evolution have one or more memory leaks, because
> more time you have running, more memory it seems to eat. But it's
> true: if you don't use calendar and the other addtional stuff, you
> don't need evlotuion, or, if you want, you can turn off several
> plugins.
> Addtional to memory launch, evolution-connector for M$ Exchange
> sucks... it's almost always broken... or half-broken... With some
> updates, it's looks like solid but with the next update, it's crash
> again...
> Whatever... i will profile evolution to see if i found a memory
> leak...

I think the problem with Evolutions memory use is largely fragmentation
not leaking.

I'd like to mention that the default Evolution setup in FC loads the
Spamassassin plugin which on my machine at least takes up 80megs of
memory, replacing that with the bogofilter plugin turned out to be a
good decision - I blogged a bit about that adventure*

Maybe we can get that plugin upstream as the default for great savings,
running a daemon for spam training is probably a tad overkill anyways.

* http://lovesunix.net/blog/?p=102

- David Nielsen