Pull off AIGLX repoistory?

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Wed Jul 26 22:14:29 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 10:18 -0400, Gerald Henriksen wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 15:48:28 -0700, you wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 00:18 +0200, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> >> If FC5 hadn't supported the proprietary drivers in the first place
> >> then I
> >> wouldn't see a problem here since the users had a choice of upgrading
> >> to/installing FC5 with that fact in mind
> >
> >I think you have that backwards. nvidia and ATI decide whether or not
> >it's worth it for them to release binary drivers targeted at any
> >particular distro release. The Fedora Project, whether in a core release
> >or rawhide, makes no pretense at "supporting" those drivers.
>
> It is not a question of Fedora supporting binary drivers, but rather
> the expectation of a user that once they install a released version of
> Fedora that they can expect the system to remain "stable" until they
> choose to upgrade to a newer version.
>
> Any update should not be pushed out to a release that breaks the users
> system, whether it be a binary driver, binary application, or even
> custom scripts that depend on a given version of a language/library
> that breaks.

I'm a FC5 user with the Nvidia drivers installed (thanks to livna) so
this affects me.

So it might surprise you to know that this argument (that it breaks a
users system) is just bunk.  If the use has installed the Nvidia (or
ATI) proprietary drivers they have already tainted their kernel and as
such can expect no support from the Fedora developers for any related
issue.  Or, put more simply, the user has already broken their own
system.

Every time I boot my system, I'm reminded by the kernel that it is
tainted.  Everytime I file a bug report related to video, I'm reminded
by the developers that they don't support proprietary drivers and they
ask me to try with the nv driver.  Fedora doesn't support my situation
now and that is a situation of my own making.

All power to you Mike and release early, release often.

R.

 It's much better on my side"