[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

Re: Pull off AIGLX repoistory?



tor, 27 07 2006 kl. 09:34 +0200, skrev Denis Leroy:
> David Nielsen wrote:
> > tir, 25 07 2006 kl. 12:16 +0200, skrev Dennis Jacobfeuerborn:
> > 
> > 
> >>Since the 7.1 release isn't compatible with the current proprietary drivers 
> >>of both NVidia and ATI shouldn't this at least wait until compatible 
> >>versions are released? Breaking support for these drivers doesn't sound 
> >>right for a released version that is considered stable.
> > 
> > 
> > We don't live to serve companies who actively work against the free
> > software communities by encouraging violation of the GPL.
> > 
> > We cannot take into consideration software we cannot fix, it would be
> > the death of Fedora and free software as a whole. Holding back
> > technological progress to favor criminals who work against us isn't a
> > beneficial decision for us.
> 
> Jesus. Yes I've met Nvidia engineers, they really struck me as evil 
> criminals. You know, they get up in the morning and chant their mantras 
> "Death To Linux". How can you be so naive ? How old are you ?

That does not in ANY way change the fact that a linking a binary driver
with the kernel is in violation with the GPL. Linking in this case makes
the module derived work of the kernel and therefore subject to the terms
of the GPL.
The only thing separating nvidia and a lawsuit is that they don't ship
the module linked to the kernel, they make you do the actual law
breaking. The module in question has no purpose or functionality without
the kernel and is clearly designed to work with it. It is derived work
for all intends and purposes, by design.
Ask a lawyer or plainly listen to any kernel developer.

I have no special jihad against nvidias engineers, they just as a vendor
have to stop violating the terms of our license that's all, I'm sure
they are otherwise fine upstanding people. 

If your argument is questioning my age and naivety in addition to
implying that I somehow think nvidia engineers are no better people than
your average Hollywood satanist.. then I suggest you go back to the
drawing board.

> As for me, I use their card/driver combo because it is the best. The 
> best, bar none. Because that's what I want on my home computer. If I 
> have to choose between the best, or a crippled unusable open-source 
> driver (nv), I choose the best. If you want them to open up their 
> drivers, move to a country that has no software patents.

I already live in one thank you very much, but that is besides the
point. Moving myself will not make nvidia stop violating the terms of
the license.

The nv driver works perfectly fine, I have used it for years, the only
thing that doesn't work with it is accelerated 3d. I would hardly call
that crippled to the point of not being usable. Lacking desirable
functionality sure but it still has support for 2d which means at least
we can display X on such setups.

Now did you have an argument or did you just want to sling insults at
me?

- David Nielsen


[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]