Fedora's intended target audience?

Arjan van de Ven arjan at fenrus.demon.nl
Thu Jul 27 15:15:41 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-27 at 16:55 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:

> Rahul wrote:
> > Hans de Goede wrote:
> >>
> >> Anyways I explicitly asked not to discuss this in this thread this
> >> belongs in a seperate thread.
> >>

> > Your whole discussion is tied to the argument that since we are
> > potentially breaking non-free drivers, noone would use Fedora. I can't
> > see how we can have the discussion now without considering the premise.
>
> No, this was the proverbial drop of water that made the bucket flow over
> (Dutch proverb). The thing I want to discuss is the general impression
> that Fedora Developers (both RH and Community ones) are loosing sight of
> end users and are doing things purely on their technical merits even if
> this hurts the end users.

arguably some other people lose sight of all users but themselves...

the 7.1 update adds a lot better support for radeon and for Intel video
and even 2D nvidia... Intel video has a market share of about 50%,
radeon of about 20%.... that's not numbers you can ignore in the "you
ignore the users" comment. To some degree NOT doing this update is
ignoring the users.