Fedora's intended target audience?

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Thu Jul 27 17:09:26 UTC 2006

tor, 27 07 2006 kl. 18:33 +0200, skrev Gérard Milmeister:
> On Thu, 2006-07-27 at 18:20 +0200, Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 06:06:58PM +0200, Gérard Milmeister wrote:
> > >
> > > People should stop blame NVIDIA for everything because of the binary-only
> > > drivers.
> >
> > Well, we can certainly blame them for being clueless.
> >
> > '"It's so hard to write a graphics driver that open-sourcing it would not
> >  help," said Andrew Fear, Nvidia's software product manager.'
> >
> > http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6061491.html
> >
> > And please note that we're not asking for an open-source driver.
> > Hardware specs would suffice.
> >
> > > not 3D-acceleration, but TwinView. Reverting to the open-source driver
> > > would break my configuration and not just make some games stop working.
> >
> > Last I heard, NVidia was responsible (or was paying the person responsible)
> > for maintaining the nv driver. So they're actually responisible for that, too.
> >
> > > Also, NVIDIA does not support Fedora Core 5. They support Linux in
> > > general and simply cannot follow every little technical issue of
> > > hundreds of distributions.
> >
> > Which is exactly why they should publish hardware specs and let the
> > distributions (well, the X.org developers) handle the problem themselves.
>
> While I completely agree with you technically, users should only
> minimally suffer because of some executive stupidity.

We have NO technical regression with this update, when FC5 shipped only
the nv driver was supported, when we push this update the nv driver will
remain working out of the box it will even be better (I think it got EXA
support but I'm not certain if that patch got into CVS).

I repeat, no regression what so ever on an out of the box FC5 setup, any
issues with this update are created by 3rd parties and it's up to them
to solve it.

- David Nielsen