Fedora's intended target audience?

leomon leomon.chris at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 20:14:49 UTC 2006

Sorry to but in guys, but.....

I think there is an inherant differentiation between the ideology of the
Fedora Project and it's user base and/or developers.

Yes there maybe an update that may break a user's system if it was due to a
driver that was not included at default installation. This goes to say that
if a user installs the nVidia proprietary driver on his system, that means
that it was his choice, not the developers. The user needs to take into
account that if he installs the driver, it is not the developer's
responsability to make sure that any update will not break the driver, but
in fact it is the user's responsability. (i.e. if the user decides to
install any piece of software, it is his responsability to make sure that it
works!!!)

No one sees  Apple scrambling to make sure that  if someone with a PowerMac
G4 that gets an upgrade card from Sonnet, to improve clock-speed, they can
get it working with every G4 Mac. The responsability falls with Sonnet to
support the user, and if they decide not to untill 2 days/months/years
later, it's the user's problem not the developer's.

I would say that it is not the developer's deliberately trying to break
user's machines, but them staying out of places they should not be!

cjr