Fedora's intended target audience?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 21:15:44 UTC 2006

On 7/27/06, Chris Chabot <chabotc at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> First we try desperately to educate users that they should always update,
> even write pretty applets for it and other programs that make this possible
>
> Then we tell them that they have to master editing config files and learn
> about exclude-lists? Sounds puzzling to me still :-)
>
> Choice is encouraging people to upgrade to RHEL, or FC6, taking away choice
> is putting things in updates that people without our tech knowledge would
> never suspect
>
> Ps, on the list I've seen a few times @redhat.com's suggesting changing to
> RHEL, which sounds as good as a solution to me as a @microsoft.com's
> suggesting upgrading to Windows XP .. in both  cases they take away some of
> the merit of the argument your trying to make

Ok non-redhat person suggesting.. if you are going to run a mission
critical server that is going to need to stay stable, not change for a
couple of years, etc.. then use Red Hat/Centos/Scientific Enterprise
Linux.

Linux is about choice. Some of those choices are choices that a user
gets to make, and some are choices that the developers get to make.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator