Leaving?

Arjan van de Ven arjan at fenrus.demon.nl
Fri Jul 28 08:41:32 UTC 2006

> I keep hearing this argument, that the packages for the involved drivers
>  can be made to conflict with the update. Which in essence will deprive
> all but the most technical of our users from security updates. So this
> is a moot argument. ? Deprive all but the most technical of our users
> from security updates is almost as bad as completly breaking their system.

the sad thing is that if you use those drivers you probably don't need a
security update; since I assume most people don't compile out the "give
me more privileges" ioctl and other things in that..

And really you make all this sound like the end of the world. But it's
quite simple: Once there is a distro using 7.1, nvidia will rush to
release what they apparently already have. Until there is such a distro,
they won't. So the time frame in which an X sploit could be found and in
which a nvidia user then would be vulnerable is quite limited, probably
no more than 2 or 3 weeks to my estimate.
Are these 2 or 3 weeks really such a high price that it's worth denying
a lot of other people a better working X for? (yes VESA sucks hard if
you compare it to an accelerated driver)