firefox CPU load

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Fri Jul 28 08:57:25 UTC 2006

Erwin Rol wrote:
> Does anybody else see the following behavior? I have two tabs open in
> firefox, now i try to load a real slow page in one tab. When i select
> the tab that is loading the page the CPU usage is about 50%, when i now
> switch to the other tab the CPU usages goes to <1%. While loading there
> is nothing on the page yet that could cause this CPU load, just some
> text. The only difference seems to the the animation of the icon in the
> menubar, the icon in the tab is animated even if the tab isn't
> selected.

When loading a page, firefox needs to render and re-render page layout
as information becomes available. This can take up a lot of CPU even if
it still really hasn't anything to show you just yet. Perhaps this is
what you are experiencing?
You are probably better off asking this sort of questions on a
mozilla/firefox list, though.

Hope it helps anyway.

/Thomas