Could screensavers be part of the solution, not part of the problem?

Paul A Houle ph18 at cornell.edu
Fri Jul 28 17:09:08 UTC 2006

         Yesterday I came to work to discover John Williams music blaring
from the cubicle next door.  I pushed the door open and saw a Superman
screensaver running on a Windows machine with spinning "S"es from the
various incarnations of the Kryptonian hero.  Turned out my officemate had
left his headphones unplugged,  so the rest of us got a free concert.

         Last night I had a number of long running jobs on my mac
mini,  and I got to thinking of what a pain it was to understand the status
of the machine.  I was processing mail,  washing dishes and doing other
domestic tasks while checking in on the status of the process of copying
files from a DVD-ROM to an NAS storage unit over the wireless internet
connection,  a process that takes about an hour.

         It was annoying as hell that the progress indicator was this tiny
little box that easily got lost in all the other windows that were open.

         It got me thinking...  We're starting to see that the WIMP
interface was a step backwards in many ways,  and we're moving towards more
task-oriented interfaces.

         Why can't we make a screensaver that's useful?  The idea is to
make a screensaver that works like the dashboard in Mac OS X...  Something
task-oriented that lets you get an immediate sense of what your machine is
up to.  (Just walk up to the computer and you can see at a glance)

         The big thing you'd need for this is some kind of hook into the
progress bar mechanisms that would let the screensaver display progress
bars for running applications:  this could be a big selling point for Gnome
and KDE apps if they had their progress bars implemented into this.  (Doing
this in general would be tough...  How would you get  progress information
out of Azureus?  Such a scheme would need to be supplemented with a
"top"-like display,  network traffic monitoring,  maybe even something like
lsof,  to be able to say something about applications that aren't smart
about reporting status...

Paul A. Houle
Digital Library Programmer/Analyst
Library Systems