mirrorlist plugin broken?

Florian La Roche laroche at redhat.com
Sun Jul 30 20:16:50 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jul 30, 2006 at 03:54:00PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:

> > > not if you have to use the ip to respond with a proper list for that
> > > country, or, failing the existence of that country's list - respond with
> > > the global one.
> >
> > The check-script to only offer working mirros is great. I'd hope that
> > also the old locations are updated with working mirrorlist files.
>
> that's up to other folks than me.

Ok, I'll have to ping some other people on this.

> > I still think we should just provide working mirrorlist files, but not
> > add geoip into the servers within FedoraProject.org. I though we want to
> > keep running on Open Source solutions here...
>
> What's not open source about geoip? The software is open at the very
> least, it's in extras.
>
> I read through the rules there appears to be a functional free version -
> which is what we're using - the one that's in extras.

>From their website I didn't think they have a reasonable free version.
The Fedora Extras package mentions a 97% accurate database for the
free version which does sound ok to me.
Let's see if .cgi holds up or if e.g. we can use the timezone setting
or other items to start with sane defaults.

> According to extras it is GPL'd.

Yep.

Thanks a lot,

Florian La Roche