Recent AIGLX Breakage?

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Sat Jun 3 03:53:52 UTC 2006

> Transulency in any layering textual element that users are expected to
> read is a usability killer.. full stop.  Being able to sort of read
> the desktop underneath the text in an semi-transparent open window,
> just means you can sort of not read any of the text at all.

Notice in the later releases of OSX, the transparency got toned WAY down
from the early versions. The transparent unfocused titlebars went away.
Also, while the menus are still transparent, they're only very slightly
transparent to the point that I wonder why they even bother.

The key issue is contrast between foreground and background. If you just
layer text over text, they compete with each other. Transparency could
be made workable by *blurring* out the background, to reduce its
contrast. This could be done with pixel shaders, however do any of the
open source drivers support them? (Let alone the hardware itself...) You
could also fake it by re-rendering to a lower resolution then scaling it
back up.

Looks like Vista is taking this approach...