UnleashKDE

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Jun 5 15:32:37 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-05 at 10:16 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-06-05 at 08:44 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> >> Speaking of which, IMO, here's a list of kde bits that are very
> >> Extras-worthy:
> >> kdeaddons
> >> kdeadmin
> >> kdeartwork (since xscreensaver -> Extras)
> >> kdebindings
> >> kdeedu
> >> kdegames
> >> kdeutils
> >> kdewebdev
> >
> > FWIW, I'd be interested in exploring moving some of these to Extras to
> > start "testing the waters" as it were --
>
> Cool.
>
> > one question which springs
> > to mind is how does this interact with the monolithic blob that is
> > kde-i18n?
>
> No direct interaction.  The kde-i18n packages are monolithic in that they
> provide translations for *all* kde packages (regardless of whether the apps
> for which they provide translations are installed or not).

Right, but as the packages are maintained more independently, I think it
becomes more important to actually have the translations with the code.
Otherwise, it becomes much more of a coordination problem to update just
one piece.

Then again, I've thought that kde-i18n is broken by design forever ;-)

Jeremy