Hibernate with LVM Swap

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Tue Jun 13 01:51:30 UTC 2006

On Monday 12 June 2006 07:20pm, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 16:15 -0600, Lamont R. Peterson wrote:
> > How do you mean?
>
> 4 primary plus a limited number within an Extended partition.  LVM has
> MUCH more space in this regard.

Ah.

So, Peter, are you saying that using up 3 partitions is so bad compared to 2
that we should be concerned about it?

Sorry, this is a non-starter argument to me.

I'm saying that LVM has several very worthwhile benefits and that non of them
matter when it comes to swap and that since LVM doesn't benefit swap, it
doesn't make sense to put swap on LVM.

The only exception I see is the example of needing 30GB of RAM to do some big,
one-time operation.  In that case, sure, create an extra swap LV and use it,
removing it when you're done.  But the key concept in that scenario
is "one-time".  If it's an ongoing need, then you (should|need to) get more
RAM or dedicate a high-speed drive (or two or three or ...) to just swap.

Some talked about how the capability of LVM to spread an LV over several PVs
would give performance benefits to swap.  I don't completely agree, due to
the size of a PE vs. the size of a memory page.  To get that benefit, you
should be using RAID0 (software or hardware), and I only say RAID0 because we
don't care what's on swap.

Anyway, sorry for the earlier confusion.
--
Lamont R. Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor