Can't uninstall multiple instances of a package

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Tue Jun 13 03:10:22 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 22:25 +0200, Émeric Maschino wrote:
> installed previously! Interestingly, rpm -q quake2 answers quake2-3.20-glibc-6.
> Maybe an error during the installation process? OK for a reinstallation of this

Buggy old versions of yum used to leave multiple package versions
installed all the time. Yum didn't care but this caused apt to puke
unless you fixed it. (This was back around FC2/FC3)

Anyway, the way to fix it is to specify an exact version to remove. Just
copy and paste what rpm -q tells you:

rpm -e quake2-3.20-glibc-6

> package was already installed. And now, rpm -e complains about multiple
> instances of this package. In fact, rpm -q quake2 now gives two identical lines
> with quake2-3.20-glibc-6! rpm -e --allmatches quake2 didn't help. Rebuilding the

... But as you claim to have multiple same versions installed, that may
not be enough. (Your system seems a bit more b0rked than even I ever
managed...)