Request for comments: Laptop improvements

Dave Mitchell davem at iabyn.com
Wed Jun 14 17:13:12 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 05:59:59PM +0200, Phil Knirsch wrote:
> Now, what i would like to ask of you is to give me some input on what
> you think might be something where we could do better on laptops.

1) Make the window manager cope with the loss/gain of an external monitor.
When at home, I have an external monitor plugged in, and I use dual
head/spanning desktops, to get twice the screen width.
When I'm on the move, half my applications are now hidden off the RH edge
of the screen.

Ideally the window manager should detect the loss of monitor and reposition
apps accrordingly (and position new windows accordingly). Failing that, it
should checkmonitor state after a suspend/resume; failing that there
should be an easy way to manually enable/disable the monitor. Currently you
have to change the dual head setting, then log out and back in again.

2) Network Manager needs some way to be able to be told to ignore certain
access points, or conversely, to favour certain access points. When at
work, it always manages to bind to the wrong onme :-(

--
"Foul and greedy Dwarf - you have eaten the last candle."
    -- "Hordes of the Things", BBC Radio.