Request for comments: Laptop improvements

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Jun 15 12:46:23 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 11:19 +0200, Matthias Saou wrote:
> Adam Jackson wrote :
> > Jaroslaw Gorny wrote:
> > > - xorg-x11-drv-i810 <- it does not work with 945GM card,
> > > - on this laptop as well as on Dell Latitude D505 915resolution patch is
> > > needed to set native LCD resolution (1680x1050 and 1400x1050). If there is a
> > > way to handle this issue without the patch - great. Otherwise, the patch
> > > should be packaged, like in Ubuntu.
> >
> > Known bugs, fixes coming in new i810 driver.
>
> Yup. But then let's add :
>
> Installation time detection and support for the BIOS resolutions
> overriding (since IIRC it's a configuration directive in xorg.conf).

No, with the magic all-singing, all-dancing modesetting intel driver,
you don't have to do configuration directives.  The driver looks at the
EDID information for your connected displays and beats the BIOS into
actually allowing the resolution.

I'll try to pull a copy of the current code and update my snapshot
package today while waiting on trees so that people can test it now ;-)

Jeremy