Extras x86_64 rawhide rebuild in mock status 2006-06-14

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Thu Jun 15 15:19:57 UTC 2006

Jesse Keating wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 15:54 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
>> In most cases I would disagree with this. pkgconfig should be a dep
>> of
>> any package that provides a .pc file, which would result in pkgconfig
>> being pulled in by the normal buildreqs of most packages (-devel
>> packages for required libraries).
>
> I don't agree with this. -devel packages are useful w/out using
> pkgconfig.  If the package you are BUILDING can't figure things out
> w/out pkgconfig, then that package must BuildRequires it.

If most of the programs that use foo-devel use either the pkg-config-based
foo-config or pkg-config directly, then I'd have to side with Paul, that
the -devel pkg should
Requires: pkgconfig
Besides, pkgconfig is small, and it certainly causes no side-effects.  No
harm in adding it, only benefits that everything that includes 'BR:
foo-devel' *just works*.

-- Rex