Update to flex 2.5.33

Petr Machata pmachata at redhat.com
Thu Jun 15 17:26:49 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 04:15 +0000, Bojan Smojver wrote:
> Bojan Smojver <bojan <at> rexursive.com> writes:
>
> > Would there be interest in having a flex-reentrant (based on 2.5.33) package in
> > Extras
>
> Something like this:
>
> ftp://ftp.rexursive.com/pub/flex/flex-reentrant.spec

Ok.  Having flex 2.5.3x in fedora was my original goal when I became
maintainer of flex.  However old version is heavy with patches, and new
version went more or less it's own way.  So I'd rather do it only after
certain confidence grows.

So... what about creating flex-reentrant, that would be drop-in
replacement for flex?  People willing to experiment would install it
instead of flex:
  Name: flex-reentrant
  Version: 2.5.33
  Obsoletes: flex < 2.5.33
  Provides: flex = %{version}

All packages requiring flex would then pick up flex-reentrant
automatically, without the need to pass configure flags or to setup
environment variables.  I think this way, we would get the greatest
impact, yet the users would be free to choose if they want to install
reentrant flex.

When new flex turns out to be just fine, original flex package will be
updated, obsoleting reentrant.

The downside obviously is that you will have either reentrant, or old
flex installed.  This issue doesn't arise for Bojan's package, which
installs flex to /opt.  However I'm afraid people would find it
cumbersome to have to explicitly pick the right binary.

Thoughts?

> Bojan

PM